Monday, June 17, 2013

Running Update June 2013

I am so proud of my progress as a runner.

From my running diary, which I started in August 2008:


I remember how triumphant that felt. I was amazed I could do it. I smiled all day and announced my accomplishment to anyone who would listen. 

Spring of 2009 I made more progress.

  • "Learned to breathe" meant that I figured out how to pace myself: inhale for a count of three steps, exhale for three steps (I blogged about that here). 
  • "Didn't kill husband." In other words, I didn't have the physical strength to take him down after (un)helpful comments like "Pain is just weakness leaving the body!" (more about being a cranky running partner here).

But it was slow going.

June 2009:

HMW = half mile warm up (walking)
HMC = half mile cool down
My notes-to-self were always written immediately after running and were full of whatever emotion was evoked that day.

6/30/09: "TOUGH run. Blech. Must drink more water."

7/8/09: "I walked 1/8 mile, choking back tears and panic. Stupid, stupid, stupid."

I don't think we ran at all in 2010. I joined the gym (which I compared to a sweat shop in this post).

Hubbins and I ran a few times together in 2011. That fall, I enrolled in Fit School for Women and got serious. In the winter, I ran with a headlamp for the first time. Something clicked for me in that group. The camaraderie of women made all the difference. In December I ran my first 5k

I blogged about running a lot in 2012.

I enrolled in Bellingham Fit again this year. I'm almost halfway through the marathon training program, and my longest distance to date is 12 miles. I can hardly believe it. I am so proud of my progress and grateful for the friends I've made.



Tip: a good way to maintain your pace is to
run with people who are shorter than you.

I'm challenged every time I run and still feel like a beginner. But it is so encouraging to see how far I've come. 

This week my feet and left knee are hurting, so I'm going to concentrate on my form and recovery instead of increasing my mileage. Running three times a week before work really helps the long Saturday runs feel smoother.

Avoiding plantar fasciitis 
Thanks for your concern, Rajah. Quit drinking my ice water.


Thank you Hubbins for believing I could run, even when I didn't want to hear it and hated you for expecting me to keep up. 

Thank you Carol Frazey for making running a social activity and incorporating laughter into every workout.

Thank you Diane, Nancy, Tina, Mayumi, Chris, Jenn, Penny, Kelly, Elizabeth, Theresa and Donna for distracting me with friendship so I forget we're exercising as we get to know each other. I can't wait to see what we accomplish this summer!

1 comment: