Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Still thriving

One of the ironic things about Alzheimer's disease is something known as "failure to thrive." When a person's body is so overwrought with dementia that it shuts down, that's the medical euphemism used to describe what's happening.

I find this ironic, because I'm pretty sure that's a straight up challenge to my mother. She is a professional thriver. She taught me the phrase "bloom where you're planted," and she still embodies this concept.

thrive
VERB
1. grow well: to grow vigorously and healthily
2. do well: to be successful and often profitable
Synonyms: grow well, be healthy, flourish, bloom, blossom, prosper, succeed, increase

My whole life I've seen her thrive as an artist, a gardener, a seamstress, a teacher, a reader, a writer, a friend, a daughter, a sister, a pastor's wife, and a homeschooling Mom of five kids.

Even now, I think she wakes up every morning with this mantra: "C'mon world, dare me to thrive."

Hers is an unquenchable spirit.



Mom and future grandson
Mother's Day 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment