Wednesday, December 21, 2011

November's Book: Born to Run

In November, I listened to Christopher McDougall's book on CD (some nice multi-tasking was accomplished listening to a book about running while quilting in my jammies). I heard Born to Run mentioned in my running class and was intrigued. Something about the barefoot running debate, a big race in Mexico, and a giant canyon. Huh.


So I checked out the audio book from the library. This was a good call. I never would have been able to keep up with all the characters and subplots had I been slogging through the 300-plus pages, one chapter at a time. Since I could just enjoy listening (and push "pause" while finishing a seam with my noisy sewing machine), the plot unfolded like a Christopher Nolan film: tricky and spell binding.

WOW. It wasn't what I was expecting from a book whose subtitle sounds like an athlete-tabloid. This book has it all: suspense, intrigue, feats of strength, rugged terrain, science, psychology, ultra marathons, strong women, fanatical men, and layers of back story that added depth to every chapter.

It was all very accessible. The author writes from a modest, average-Joe perspective, and I never felt I was in over my head. The running itself though, sheesh. My measly singular-mile accomplishments pale in comparison. But it was all inspiring.

Take a gander at the author's website. I hope his pictures add oomph to my glowing recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment