Monday, June 13, 2011

May/June 21 day challenge

Recap: inspiration came from here (blogger and runner Tricia wrote about how she lost over 120 pounds by starting with a short-term goal). I was inspired to try it myself.

Three weeks ago, I made the following goals (editorial comments included):
  1. Cut out soda. I drink it because it’s in the house, not because I love it. It's an easy break-up since I don’t see any real future for me and Diet Coke. Meh. Easy place to start. I know water is better for me. I have a feeling if I were to Google “artificial sweeteners” I would have nightmares for a week. 
  2. Eat less LIFE Cereal and Wheat Thins. I know they are made with manna from heaven, but man shall not live on carbohydrates alone. The only portions that satisfy my cravings require mixing bowls-full. Too much. No more crates from Costco.
  3. Less peanut butter.
  4. More fruit. Appealing because fruit is DELICIOUS. Buy a juicer?
  5. More veggies. Drink leafy greens? Raw foods until dinner? Natalia Rose and Cheri Calbom make a compelling argument for vital nutrients and overall health coming from liquefied vegetables. Too good to be true? Maybe. But I’m willing to give it a try.
Notes from my journal May 23rd:
My approach to weight loss needs to change. 'Cause I’m not losing any. My motivation can’t just be "Oh, it'd be nice to fit into cute clothes." The ideal size pair of pants that sat in my drawer for six years wasn’t enough. I found semi-cute XL clothes instead.
The good, healthy things that come with being skinnier need to be my GOAL not just nice by-products. I turn 30 next month. I don’t want to stay on the trajectory I’m on. Another few years, and I’ll be on a TLC show (not the funny kind), needing surgery or an intervention.
So, here we are, three weeks later. I did it! I haven't had soda or peanut butter or LIFE cereal in three weeks. I cut down on Wheat Thins and upped my fruit and veggie intake (this is the BEST time of year for eating raw food. The produce stands are overflowing). I drank lots of water, and started excersising again.

I tried some new things in the last 3 weeks:
  1. Baked whole wheat bread in my bread machine. YUM. That's the way to replace white, overly processed bread. Unforeseen temptation: fresh, hot, whole wheat bread is best in large quantities and slathered in butter.
  2. Bought goat's milk to use instead of Coffee Mate flavored creamer. Not terrible. Downside: made my coffee taste like cheese.
  3. Started a new exercise program at the gym, sweating my heart out twice a week (week 2 of Boot camp starts tonight!). Lesson learned: I am way more motivated to be active when I'm with other people and accomplishing a task rather than simple repetition.
  4. I tried to eat only raw food for the first half of the day. Instead of granola or toast for breakfast, or snacking on vending machine cookies, I ate bananas, oranges, strawberries, and cherries. YUM.
  5. I started keeping water bottles (with straws) with me all day. I now have a water bottle at home that I refill first thing in the morning and when I get home, and another water bottle on my desk at work that I refill throughout the day. My record-setting day was 86 ounces. Lesson learned: space it out over the day instead of drinking 20 ounces in one sitting. I was running to the bathroom every 30 minutes.
The scale isn't showing evidence that I made any changes at all, but I'm OK with that. My thinking is changing, and my habits are changing, and I think that is where this all has to start. And I'm feeling better because I'm conscious of what I'm eating (instead of mindlessly munching) and I'm aware of how I feel based on my food and activity decisions throughout the day.

New goals for the next three weeks are percolating.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl. I always feel better when I eat fresh, healthy food. Amazing how that works.
    My old boss used to bring green smoothies to work and loved them. She swore by them and would sometimes drink three a day. I tasted a bit of one once and it was alright. I don't know if I could drink the whole thing. Might have to tweak the recipe.

    ReplyDelete