Monday, April 11, 2011

Good words

It is crucial to understand that the teachings of Jesus do not by themselves make a life. They were never intended to. Rather, they presuppose a life. - Dallas Willard
These words soothe me. They liberate me from defining myself through Christian-y actions; from measuring my worth based on how well I fit into church culture.

Remember this quote I posted in January?
Your beliefs will be the light by which you see, but they will not be what you see, and they will not be a substitute for seeing. - Flannery O'Connor
This is why it resonated with me: faith isn't a costume I can hide in, or a dialect I can use to blend in, or a hammer to bang on peoples' heads to get their attention. It isn't a happy meal or a prepackaged kit. Some assembly IS required. Batteries are NOT included. I'm grateful for that.

Faith has to be worked out and wrestled to the floor and slowly allowed to have influence.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Em. Totally agree. When I read stuff like this I wish I lived closer so we could have coffee or something.

    ReplyDelete