Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February Project: Write Daily

My new mentor is encouraging me to write daily. 
Writing every day is the key to becoming a writer. Writing every day is the key to remaining a writer. It is the only secret, the only trick. Don't despise the fifteen-minute write. Don't despise writing in your journal. Don't despise writing down your complaints for fifteen minutes before going to work. Any writing counts.

It keeps you connected to your writing no matter what else is going on in your life. The fifteen-minute write makes the difference between being a writer and wishing to be a writer.

-Priscilla Long
So, without further ado, I'm going to write for at least 15 minutes every day this month. I brought a little notebook to work today that I scribbled in on my lunch break. Off to a good start.

More advice (page 16):
In your notebook, begin each practice session on a new page. Date each session and when you're finished, if obvious, give the writing a descriptive title or label. These labels become clarifying when you are looking back through your notebooks for themes, concerns, bits of writing.
"Bits of writing." I have lots of that. But I'm narrowing down my focus. Since my biggest and brightest ideas strike while I'm at work, I thought my lunch hour was a good time.

I'm excited.

1 comment:

  1. I've read several books lately that have recommended that. I'm trying to write a little something everyday, even if it's crap.

    ReplyDelete