Friday, January 21, 2011

Recommendations: Pricilla Long, Mt Hood, Lammott, Levine, the Spa

The Writer's Portable Mentor: A Guide to Art, Craft, and the Writing Life
If you are interested in improving your writing, I highly recommend this book: The Writer's Portable Mentor: A Guide to Art, Craft, and the Writing Life. I read several sections aloud (yay!) over the weekend, while my long-time-friend-and-former-roommate and I drove across Oregon. We created our own writer's retreat.

It was a great three days in the mountains of central OR, and we both made progress in our writing (she fine-tuned the structure of a few passages in the book she's working on, and I decided what direction I want to go with all the bits and pieces of writing I've done over the last several years). BIG steps in the right direction.

 

In case you're planning a getaway for writing, here are some elements I strongly encourage you to incorporate:

Multiple journals and writer's notebooks (don't pick a blank book so fancy that you won't write it in, or something boring that will inhibit your enthusiasm. It's a delicate balance).

Favorite pen(s).
Books that inspire you.

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life


    A friend who is OK with silence and with whom you won't run out of things to talk about even if you spend 72 hours together.

    4-star resort and reservations at the spa.

    2 comments:

    1. I would cut off my right arm for three days in at a resort right now. Le sigh...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh, I am so jealous. Of the time you spent with a girlfriend, of the quiet and solitude, and the progress you made in writing...
      I can't wait to see your finished product. It is going to rock, I know.

      ReplyDelete