Friday, August 13, 2010

Uganda update

Several weeks ago, I received a newsletter from the African Children's Choir, who I worked with in 2004-2006. One of the children I toured with (as chaperone for a 24-member choir raising money for school at home in Uganda) was featured as an example of a new program at the primary school.

These are the bright and shining faces I met in April of 2004. Douglas is in the back row, on the far right.


Now look at him! I am so proud. I miss these kiddos so much it hurts.


From the newsletter:
P7 [seventh grade] student Douglas happily reported that he was able to use what he learned in his auto mechanics exploratory (after school club) while on his school holiday. Douglas' brother-in-law had a flat tire on his car and Douglas offered to change it. The man was hesitant, seeing that this was just a young boy, but Douglas insisted he could help. "My brother-in-law was so surprised because there are big people who can’t do that," said Douglas, "and it was a skill I learned in just two days.”
That would have been useful on tour, especially the day we parked our charter bus at a wilderness camp in Minnesota, and one of the back wheels broke through an old (empty) septic tank. THAT was an adventure.

Love you Dougi. Miss you, choir 25.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, what a wonderful update! I'm a teacher and I can't wait to start getting updates on my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sniff* Oh, the septic tank incident. THAT was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Makes me want to return to Africa. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful, simple, yet inspiring story. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete