Friday, August 6, 2010

Haircut Part Deux

I saw Samantha again yesterday, and sat down in her barber's chair with a big smile on my face.

"I'm excited to show you all my hair!" I said with a big grin. I loved the look on her face as she ran her fingers through the new, thick curls up top.

"You can't even tell!" she said, looking for traces of the bald spots I had two months ago. "You are a totally different person!"

I beamed.

"Gimme some skin!" She shouted, and held up her palm for a high five. It was a gloriously cheesy moment.

"You got rid of that stress," she said, knowingly.

I didn't reiterate any of the causes for stress, but I did tell her about being purposeful in finding other outlets (writing, Zumba, etc). I told her I'm not taking it out on my hair anymore.

Then I said, "You know what made the biggest difference? Coming here. Talking to you. The stuff you said to me last time made a big difference."

Samantha appreciated that, and told me she was honored to hear me say it.

It's the truth. Having someone track with me and listen and invest, even for 45 minutes during a shampoo and a trim, was what I needed. A friend told me recently, "Well, sometimes you need a therapist, and sometimes you just need a good haircut!"


A good haircut from a good stylist has helped me, twice now, keep my anxiety in perspective. And Samantha has a plan for styling my hair as it grows, turning it in to a real hairdo (possibly the first in my whole life...at least the first decade-appropriate hairdo). :)

3 comments:

  1. You look so adorable:) And I love your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your haircut it is so fitting to your face! Great look!

    ReplyDelete