Monday, June 21, 2010

One More To-Do List: David Allen and Erik Johnson

My latest Amazon purchase was just delivered. More to add to the "currently reading" shelf.

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
It was highly recommended to me by my dad, who recently streamlined his calendar, harnessed his note taking obsession, and revamped his appointment-setting procedures. I credit Pop with my 1) eagerness-for-new-things, 2) tendency toward shorter-than-desirable attention span, and 3) adoration of organization (among other inherited traits). The man who taught me the philosophy "A clean house is a happy house!" and "A place for everything and everything in it's place!" is also the man who has had more hobbies than I can count. The list of his personal interests and topics of research over my lifetime boggles the mind. This July, he will be exactly twice my age, and I can only imagine the variety of his pursuits prior to parenting. All that to say: if a person with as much creativity and passion as Dad recommends anything to do with productivity, it would behoove me to listen up. I'll let you know what I think of the book. As soon as I  make time to read it.

   
PS: Dad started his own blog. Check it out. He also Twitters, Facebook-status-updates, sends photos to me via text message, and emails from his phone. He's the most millennial baby boomer I know. Someday I'll write a post about my technology-absent childhood, which seems Amish in comparison.

1 comment:

  1. David Allen is my hero! Just today I asked a client if they'd like a coupla handouts on the topic we'd been discussing. Thanks to DA and GTD I found them instantly. They were at my fingertips and gone are the old days when I'd rifle through file after file while impatient clients stared at their watches counting lost minutes/dollars. I also am in the habit of capturing "to dos" on paper (or digitally) so I can dedicate my brain cells to thinking up new ideas rather than thinking of ideas. DA is a genius!

    ReplyDelete