Thursday, June 24, 2010

Light bulb

As I was responding to the latest post from a new blog friend, inspiration struck.

Keelie at http://www.wearelosingitblog.blogspot.com/ made a good point that got me thinking. While describing unhealthy relationships with food she says,
We fatties like to think of food as something we can earn, spend, save, and even gamble with.
It's true. It's subtle, and it's all internal monologue, but I find myself doing a lot of bargaining over food. I give myself lots of excuses.
  1. It's been a hard day. I need a pick-me-up.
  2. Look at what I accomplished! I deserve a treat.
  3. Nothing can make me feel better except [chocolate, mocha, chips, candy, you name it].
  4. I'm too hard on myself.
  5. It's not that big of a deal.
  6. I'm an individual. I don't need any one's permission or approval.
  7. I can't help it: life is really overwhelming right now.
What if I used the same prompts to exercise instead of eat? I could become an emotional exerciser, who processed angst and anxiety and celebration with exertion not consumption.

Wouldn't it be nice to respond to those excuses in new ways?
  1. I need a pick-me-up. So I'm going to take a walk. Heart pumping, lungs filling, fresh air and sunshine: that will pick me up.
  2. I deserve a treat. I'll join a fun class at the gym. Zumba? Hot yoga? So many choices.
  3. Nothing can make me feel better except the exhaustion and accomplishment of working out.
  4. I'm too hard on myself when I eat nothing but junk food. My body deserves better than that.
  5. It's not that big of a deal to go to the gym after work or take a walk on the weekends. Really low impact, but I feel so much better when I do.
  6. I don't need any one's permission or approval but I know I feel better about myself when I'm healthy and strong.
  7. Life is really overwhelming right now. I'd better keep a level head instead of letting circumstances get me down. There's more to me than a couch potato.
How different would my life be if I lived by those rules, even for a week?

2 comments:

  1. What a profound thought!!! These past few days have been really rough for me because I kept on having those thoughts of I should reward myself for this for that, its been a hard day I deserve that. Yet in my brain I'm going NO! Stop eating those foods! You're going to go backwards in instead of forwards. This is what I needed to read to get me back on track.

    BTW my entire blog is about weight loss. So if you want to follow someone who is going through some of the same struggles check it out. "Grazing is Amazing"

    ReplyDelete