Friday, April 9, 2010

Bones

This morning I finished Natalie Goldberg's book Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within.

It was really inspiring. The chapters are short and easily-digested, but still rich with ideas and starting points and motivation. It was a little like a daily devotional for writers. Goldberg compares her writing practice to Zen meditation. The redundant quotes and parallels got annoying, but it was still well worth reading. I wrote all over the table of contents so I'll easily be able to come back and re-read my favorite parts. My notes say things like "good practice exercise," "writing through resistance," and "pain as writing material."

I'm also very proud of myself for reading all the way to the end. I bought this book in Spokane, WA in August of 2006 when I was visiting a friend who encouraged me to continue writing and exploring my own ideas.

I highly recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I need to read this book. Drew and I were talking last night about writing, and he challenged me to write at least three blogs every week to explore writing a bit more. (That was redundant.)
    I'm almost done with a book on creativity that you would probably enjoy.

    ReplyDelete