Monday, January 11, 2010

Sunset Magazine, Here We Come

I've been waiting to post photos of my favorite room in our new house. Waiting until everything looks just the way I want it to, in all it's organizational glory. Instead, my first photo shoot involved a maintenance emergency. Home ownership at it's finest.

My favorite place is my craft room, which I scouted and claimed on our first visit last Fall when the house was still Real Estate, not our Home. It's about 10' by 10' with one window overlooking the back "yard" and French doors that open into the dining room. It was the first room we laid laminate flooring in, and the whole time I imagined how I would set it up in there.

The room is perfect. Just enough space to spread out all my sewing, scrapbooking, card-making, and writing supplies, and display some of my favorite possessions. While moving in, we noticed a large piece of the ceiling had been patched, but having no reason to investigate further, hoped for the best. Until last Wednesday.

On Wednesday, while I was journaling in my room and Husband was showering in the bathroom directly above me, I heard dripping. The seam from the ceiling patch (a 24" square) had bubbles around it, as if water was pooling above my fabric collection and decorative doo dads. "Honey, I think we have a leak."

Sure enough, the ceiling was soft to the touch. Long story short, the previous owners remodeled the upstairs bathroom WITHOUT sealing the gap between the shower's tile wall and the tub. There was no visible space due to all the caulking, but water-tight it was not. After years of mold and decay, water was coming through the floor.

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story.













In the bathroom looking down:

In my craft room looking up:



2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily! I'm so sorry about your ceiling. We've just had an "incidence" in our home requiring lots of funds that are (I'm praying) covered by our insurance. I'll be praying the same prayer for you as well :)

    I know you! Do you and your husband attend Redeemer in B'ham? If so, I led a youth group Bible study for your younger sister in your parents' house for a short time! It's nice to connect up again. I'm enjoying your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love home ownership???

    ReplyDelete