Friday, October 23, 2009

First time home buyers

That's us, the Property Virgins. (Have you seen that show?) We're hoping to be in a place of our own within the next month. Our offer was accepted in the beginning of September, but the holdup is whether or not we're approved for a USDA loan. I told a co-worker this recently and he asked, "What? The US dairy association is deciding the purchase of your first home?"

No, the US Department of Agriculture's Rural Development program is offering better loans for houses bought outside city limits. But I don't know much more than that. The best link I could find is here, but even looking at the introduction gives me a headache.

Husband says our file is on a desk somewhere in the state capital, waiting for a stamp of approval. I honestly don't know if this is an exaggeration or not. Is that really the only holdup? A rubber stamp? The first time home buyers' federal tax credit currently applies only to sales closed by Dec 1, 2009 (unless that is extended). Time marches on.

So. More waiting. It's really hard to have something so big be totally up in the air. It's like waiting 3 months for the love of your life to accept or decline a marriage proposal. Ack! Everything hinges on this! It's the first day of the rest of my life and I don't know how to prepare. Do I start choosing paint colors and shopping for furniture? Or do I re-organize my closet for the hundredth time to maximize space in our apartment?

I must admit I've been mentally moving in, even though our real estate agent advised against it. The townhouse we're hoping for is a vague ideal at this point, but I've got it all planned out.



Keep your fingers crossed for us, and watch your mail box for a housewarming party invitation, okay?

1 comment:

  1. Em, I love you. You are absolutely too cute. I love the picture with the nerdatorium (I'm sure I didn't spell that right) and the welcome mat all planned out. I hope it all works out.

    We're also waiting, but in a different way. Got the loan stuff all sorted... just can't find that perfect place. Someone else beat us to our first choice. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete